Must see before they vanish Or contribute towards their continued existence by staying away?
- Ratnagiri & Sindhudurg Hills, Maharashtra (Western India)
What Makes It Special?
- Situated in the Arabian sea coastal region of Konkan, the hills are breathtaking beautiful and are home to some of the wonders of the nature e.g. the Olive Ridleys Turtles, who migrate across thousands of kilometers to lay eggs on these shores every year. About 20 – 60 nests are found every year onshore.
- Rajapur Ganga is a natural phenomenon believed by many locals to be a miracle – nearly every 3 years 14 small pools of water of different temperatures about 3 ft apart are formed here. Geologists have theorized that this is a rare case of a large natural siphon from a nearby mountain.
The Looming Danger
- Human greed : deforestation & urbanization – Felling of trees to make place for infrastructure such as second homes, resorts and 15 power projects, both public and private are the threats to its habitat.
The Potential Loss
Coastal plateaus, creeks and moist deciduous forested hills of this region, with mangroves, and seasonal flowers of balsam, hill turmeric, sonki and karvi are home to Great Pied Hornbill, Malabar Pied Hornbill and Malabar Trogon, Leopard, Sambar, Hyena, Mouse Deer and Barking Deer, different species of frogs and toads, and marine life such as shells, clams.
Read this series and much more interesting stuff @ http://thepaperbookcollective.com/2013/11/01/venture-through-the-looking-glass-with-issue-four/
- #Indian Natural Wildlife Habitat : Its a #Catch-22 (Part I) (bhuwanchand.wordpress.com)
- #Indian Natural Wildlife Habitat : Its a #Catch-22 (Part 2) (bhuwanchand.wordpress.com)
- The Paperbook Collective ~ Issue Two 2013. (jaydeashe.wordpress.com)
- 4 Unusual Wildlife Watching Destinations (bookabrainbreak.wordpress.com)
- Exotic Indian Locations for Tourists (travelescorted.wordpress.com)
- Seven Major Attractions of India’s 7 Union Territories (theindiansidentity.wordpress.com)