Must see before they vanish Or contribute towards their continued existence by staying away?
- Kalpeni Islands, Lakshadweep : The intial potential targets of Global Warming
What Makes it Special?
- These Islands of India, along with neighboring Maldive, are feared to be the initial land on Earth to get submerged in rising water levels of the sea due to global warming. Lakshadweep is an archipelago of twelve atolls, three reefs and five submerged banks, with a total of about thirty-nine islands and islets. Andaman and Nicobar consists of 572 islands in the territory having an area of 7,950 km2. Of these, about 34 are permanently inhabited. The Andamans are separated from the Nicobar group by a channel called the Ten Degree Channel) which is 150 km wide.
The Looming Danger
- Increase in temperature due to climate change, bleaching of coral reefs and oil spills are some of the major threats in this region.
The Potential Loss
- These islands in India famed for their coral reefs, Hawksbill Turtles, tropical colourful fishes, Blue-lined Snappers and Clark’s Anemone, giant clams, mollusks.
- The Lakshadweep Archipelago forms a terrestrial eco-region together with the Maldives and the Chagos with over 600 species of marine fishes, 78 species of corals, 82 species of seaweed, 52 species of crabs, 2 species of lobsters, 48 species of gastropods, 12 species of bivalves, 101 species of birds.
- It is one of the four coral reef regions in India – major attraction for the tourist.
- Pitti Island, is an important breeding place for sea turtles and for a number of pelagic birds such as the Brown Noddy (Anous stolidus), Lesser Crested Tern (Sterna bengalensis) and Greater Crested Tern (Sterna bergii). The island has been declared a bird sanctuary.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands are blessed with a unique tropical rainforest canopy, made of a mixed flora with elements from Indian, Myanmarese, Malaysian and endemic floral strains. So far, about 2,200 varieties of plants have been recorded. This tropical rain forest despite its isolation from adjacent land masses is surprisingly rich with a diversity of animal life. About 50 varieties of forest mammals are found to occur in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Some are endemic, including the Andaman Wild Boar. Rodents are the largest group with 26 species, followed by 14 species of bat. Saltwater crocodile is also found in abundance.
- The State animal of Andaman is the Dugong, also known as the sea cow, which can be found in Little Andaman. About 270 species of birds are found in the territory; 14 of them are endemic, the majority to the Nicobar island group.
- The islands’ many caves are nesting grounds for the Edible-nest Swiftlet, whose nests are prized in China for bird’s nest soup.
- The territory is home to about 225 species of butterflies and moths, including some of the larger and most spectacular of the world. Ten species are endemic to these Islands.
- Mount Harriet National Park is one of the richest areas of butterfly and moth diversity on these Islands.
- The islands are well known for of prized shellfishs, especially from the genera Turbo, Trochus, Murex and Nautilus.
- SC issues notice to Centre, States on disaster management (thehindu.com)
- Science Centre in Andaman (andamaninfo.wordpress.com)
- Cinque Island (andamaninfo.wordpress.com)
- 10 Animals Hunted (or Nearly Hunted) To Extinction (huntercourse.com)
- #Indian Natural Wildlife Habitat : Its a #Catch-22 (Part I) (bhuwanchand.wordpress.com)
- Wildlife Out of Balance (thetribunepapers.com)
- First Community Wildlife Habitat™ Seminar was hosted by GreenCare and Keep Collier Beautiful (naplesnews.com)
- Vanishing Migratory Birds of India: The Alarming Problems (ecosysblogs.wordpress.com)
- The Paperbook Collective ~ Issue Two 2013. (jaydeashe.wordpress.com)